Selenium versus LEAPWORK – Why invest LEAPWORK instead of Selenium Open Source for Automated Testing?
Selenium is recognised as one of the leading testing tools in the world due to its Open Source Developed Credentials and it’s longevity having started life in 2004. But how does is compare to the next generation of Test Automation tools like LEAPWORK.
The benefits of Selenium include:
• Open source, free to use, and free of charge
• Highly extensible
• Can run cases across different browsers
• Supports various operating systems
• Supports mobile devices
• Can execute cases while the browser is minimised
• Can execute cases in parallel
The Selenium Way
Selenium automation is achieved by creating and developing test scripts that are written with code. The building of the Automation cases requires programming knowledge as well as understanding what a user might need to test for.
Because the tests are unique, any changes or updates need to re-coded and re-applied, making it very difficult to control versions and have confidence in regression testing. Developers are required to make changes and updates, adding to the developer support burden.
In Selenium, building automation cases takes time, requires specialised programming knowledge, and generates an ongoing, growing maintenance workload. To deliver full Automation, Selenium requires a testing framework that is controlled by programming.
The increased demands of users and testing functionality required by DevOps teams has moved functionality forward in later generations of testing Software.
Selenium can only automate web applications as it is not possible to access elements outside of a browser.
LEAPWORK is the next generation of Automated Testing Tools delivered as a platform.
LEAPWORK builds on the success and functionality of Selenium, improving the usability and allowing users to define and create the tests based upon their own specific requirements as part of their day job, not having to learn to become the software developers.
The LEAPWORK Way to Automated Testing Success is Code Less
LEAPWORK empowers the users to build the test plans visually with pre-defined objects and workflows that help the user communicate the software functionality from a business and user perspective rather than a technical one.
The LEAPWORK Automation Platform enables users to create an environment of ‘do-it-yourself’ test automation without the need for programming. Test cases are built as flowcharts on a design canvas by putting together powerful building blocks. The blocks include all the logic needed for test automation and once created can be built on further with the ability to remain integral even for regression testing.
With LEAPWORK you will reduce the costs and resources required to test by up to 80%, will improve your Quality Assurance and allow regression testing to be included for current and future tests.
Place the power of test automation in to the hands of the people who will add the most value, understand their specific requirements the best and take pressure off the development teams.
LEAPWORK is based on the following:
- Enables users to Build tests and adapt future tests easily without the need to write complex Code.
- All web automation flows are built in and executed from the native LEAPWORK Studio rather than using an automation framework.
- An Automation Platform that can access every element on a screen’s User Interface.
- The user can automate both web and desktop applications – and even across application types.
- All elements and files (i.e. ‘Locators’) used in automation cases, like web elements, images, etc are automatically saved in an object repository.
- Data-driven automation is achieved by visually connecting data sources to automation flows.
- Customer support provided a dedicated support team and partner channel network.
- Runtime data is automatically generated as logs and video recordings, and results can be pushed to release platforms and pipeline orchestrators.
- Parameterization does not require programming. You simple adjust the configurations of a building block or drag dynamic sources of inputs to the block.
- Reports and Dashboards are automatically generated. These can be visualised in dashboards and exported to stakeholders.
The Future is Test Automation the Future is LEAPWORK
For a 30 Minute Demonstration that shows full functionality and ease of use fill out the form below or phone 0121 227 6201